About this blog

I feel this blog as a reflection of my thoughts to myself , and sometimes as a public diary, and the is my only friend to share my thoughts who says never a "oh no! ,you shouldn't....That is boring...."

trisecting unit line segment using ruler-compass

Aim: To construct 1/3 ( also 1/n)

Let x=1/3 and assume that you know how to bisect a line segment.

then 3x=1  ==> -3x= -1
adding x^2+y^2 on  both sides.
===>

         x^2+y^2 - 3x= x^2+y^2 - 1
   
==>  (x-3/2)^2+y^2-(3/2)^2 = x^2+y^2 - 1 
 ==>        S1=S2

i.e.     Circle S1 of radius 3/2 centered at (3/2, 0)  =  unit circle S2 at origin

 Hence the line 3x-1=0 will be the common chord of S1 and S2.

So now draw those two circles S1 and S2 using Ruler-Compass to find the intersecting points P1 and P2.
Join P1 and P2 that will cut the X-axis at ordinate x=1/3.

QED

Post Script (P.S.) : Same can be generalized for x=1/n for any integer n

కామెంట్‌లు లేవు: