About this blog

I feel this blog as a reflection of my thoughts to myself , and sometimes as a public diary, and the is my only friend to share my thoughts who says never a "oh no! ,you shouldn't....That is boring...."

Proof of Vedic square root finding algorithm

I remembered an incident of my childhood where our mathematics teacher taught us how to find square root of any decimal number using some method similar to division.
But I have know clue whatsoever from where he did took it from.
During my college days I came to know that there is a Vedic poem which states this algorithm.
I could recall from my childhood that it involves something like doubling a partial answer to proceed into next iteration of the algorithm.
I tried all the stupid ways to mimic what I learned in my 8 th standard of education.
And also come to know the fact that indian mathematical system has no proof kind of philosophical practice, but only the statement is phrased into a 2 line poem and learned by reciting.

Few days back I have decided to derive the method using decimal expansion idea.
Spent nearly three weekends to finally Crack the nut, and now I also know what the algorithm is. During the derivation for finding a method to get square root I ended up with the algorithm that I did not understood in my childhood since I used to hate maths because I could not understand it easily.
My favourite subject was history and hindi. Because I used to get sleep during history class 😴and the hindi teacher was young and beautiful. 😍

కామెంట్‌లు లేవు: